Click HERE to visit the Doomsday Prepper Forum!

Building a Survival Shelter Using Shipping Containers

Shipping Container Home Paul and Gloria Range Doomsday PreppersOn Doomsday Preppers we saw how Paul and Gloria Range used shipping containers to build themselves a survival home with many innovative items such as solar and wind power and lots of storage space.  Although their house was a good design when it came to a survival shelter it certainly left a lot to be desired in the design realm.

The use of storage containers as a home has some points when it comes to survival shelter.  They are built to stack so they are very strong and impervious to most things except rust.  I suspect they would be the equivalent of a Faraday cage if they were properly grounded and at roughly 400 square feet each they provide a good amount of survival space to live in.

In researching these I came across this video which I think shows a lot better way to make a nice survival shelter out of 40 foot storage containers.  It could be built as a multi family home to be shared by many like minded survivalists.

Shipping Containers as Survival SheltersGet this GREAT guide on using shipping containers into livable space!  It covers design, layout and more.  It lets you design using a cad program to model it the way you want it.

For more details: Click Here

31 Comments/Reviews

• anonymouse says:

In Which can I uncover a excellent provider in china producing meals storage containers, meals canister?
    We favor to establish a great relateship with suppliers who can generate meals storage containers?

• Helter Skelter says:

So, last summer, I went to California and saw a mock up of SeaLab 2 and talked with an engineer who worked with similar projects, we were talking about the habitat and how to go about building one, I am a sophomore engineering student and I am starting my more intensive classes (the first two years are basic stuff but the last three are pretty specific to your concentration) of engineering. Now, how it works at my university, starting from your first week of engineering classes, you start your engineering project, it must be completed in two years time (unless you run into problems with your personal life or medical problems, then it will be extended up to three). Now after the visit to the Museum, I had in mind of making a Underwater habitat (think Sealab 2, but not as complex) for my project. Now, I dont exactly have the money lying around to build this thing from scrap so, Im kind of stuck, the school will not be helping me, but i have quite a bit of money saved up and my parents said they would help as much as they can.
    The habitat…
    -Will set at 30 feet deep in the Mississippi river
    -Will house 3 people for 1 day MAX (Myself, A Marine Biology student/friend, and a teacher from the engineering department at my University)
    -Will house a small generator
    -Will have a small Moon pool
    -Will have a series of Ballast Tanks (I have asked a friend who works with ballast systems on submarines to help me out with this)
    -I would like it to have a couple windows, I really dont think it would be a problem since it will only be setting about 30 ft.

now, like i said before, i dont have the resources to be making this thing from scratch, but I do intend to use old junk, I would like to know, what kind of stuff should I be looking for when I go to the junk yard? Shipping containers? Tanker trailers? (A friend of mine owns a truck and a trailer and said he would be more than happy to help me move stuff.

Please help.

and BTW I do have backups

1. Minisub
    2. Sustainable underground survival shelter.
    (I know they sound really weird for engineering projects, but hey, I want to design this stuff someday.
    Thanks, I thought of a shipping container because alot are built to stay water tight. The oxygen problem might be my largest problem. But I am going to talk to a few guys around here that I think might be able to solve the problem.

• Derek Larson says:

i was reading about building homes using storage containers or ISBU’s. and i saw some designs that had them stacked ontop of eachother and was wondering how they attached them.? any links or information will be helpful

• Nana says:

I have 2 large storage containers in Long Beach, CA. I need and want these to be emptied by the end of this month. There are various boxes and items from about 3 or 4 different households including appliances and other items. Can anyone help me find a low or no cost way to get rid of these items?
    If anyone is willing to pay I will take $200.00 for everything. If you want to come look at negotiate I can do that as well. You will have to haul everything yourself.

• J U L I A says:

I’m trying to find a supplier for what I can best term as “commercial food storage containers”. The kind you find in a weight and save shop. The products are all stored in food bins / containers and usually have a hinged lid on the top to reduce contamination.

I’ve been looking with Google and been using various different searches and I keep on finding plenty of small containers for use in the home rather than the type I would use in a shop.

Can anyone help point me to a good (UK) company that supply these?

• Roar me R says:

Where can I find a good supplier in china producing food storage containers, food canister?
    We prefer to establish a good relateship with suppliers who can produce food storage containers?

• Beatrix kiddo says:

I want to know what kind of plastic my storage container is made from so I can tell what will be effective at bonding to it.

The recycling symbol has no number within it, but 1030A-9 is directly below it.

I suppose knowing for sure it’s not polyethylene or polypropylene would be enough.
    Found it online, it’s the Great Solutions 20 gallon tote. It appears to only come in opaque blue.

• Taylor Joner says:

I saw some plastic storage containers that you could stack together and they would slide together so you could pull one out and the rest remained in place. They were just clear plastic in a variety of sizes. I can’t remember if I saw them on HSN or QVC but I checked both websites and can’t find them.

• ashok r says:

The regular storage containers, I like to label the boxes by writing on papers. I’ve tried scotch tape, duct tape, masking tape, and packing tape. They all peel off. Thanks.

• Olivia Wofter says:

i’m remodeling a room for my grandma and she has a ton of craft supplies. i want to find some storage containers to put them all in, but i’m on a tight budget.

• skittlesjunkie93 says:

Can anyone help point me to a good (UK) company that supply these?

• Patrick Jr Caulton says:

I should have picked these up before Halloween was over but I forgot. I need about 3 18 gallon ORANGE rubbermaid storage containers. Any suggestions????
    Walmart, Target, Lowes, Home Depot, Menards dont have ORANGE ones. And Yes it needs to be ORANGE

• Adi Abdurab says:

Can anyone help point me to a good (UK) company that supply these?

• bubba says:

I’ve got a problem. I want to buy storage containers but there’s no good offer. Either the prices are pretty high or the delivery is very expensive. Maybe you can advice me a shop online with cheap delivery.

• Tony Garsow says:

Can anyone help point me to a good (UK) company that supply these?

• Jessica Jones says:

I read there are qualitive round food storage containers, does anybody here knows where to achieve these goods? I heard about these goods on TV. Answer please.
    I’m looking forward to your suggestions!

• Victor Max Granados says:

Kind of like Sterelite containers and such. I’m trying to get some stuff organized and I need some 18 gallon plastic storage containers and maybe some plastic rolling carts.
    I haven’t found a cheap price on the carts anywhere, but at Walmart, the containers are only $4. Any idea where I can get the carts or the containers at a lower cost? Does anyone have them on sale this week?
    They can be brand, or off brand. I really don’t care. Thanks!

• SimoneMoesha - says:

I’m looking forward to your suggestions!

• ahmed el hendawy says:

• Beth says:

Can anyone help point me to a good (UK) company that supply these?

• Anood says:

I’m looking forward to your suggestions!

• Ivan Quintana says:

I am looking for completely square buckets or storage containers to store stuff in. They need to be plastic. It needs to be at least 12 inches square and 15 inches tall. I have looked online and in stores and could not find any that were completely square. Can anybody help me with this please? Thanks.

• Rita says:

• LOVE-SICK says:

Is it school, clothes, sex, love, money, success, family, reputation, job, career, destiny, eternity, peace, hobbies, compassion, excitement, freedom, existence, health, knowledge, religion, self gratification, social service, education, happiness, politics, global warming, homework, the prom, your last date, being right, winning honors, your next date, your first car, how green your lawn is or maybe the last thought before you die?

• Ezgi Altnba says:

• Roy Brooker says:

I’m looking for storage containers. The problem is that the shipping costs are larger than the cost of my buying. Does anybody know a site with cheap delivery.

• Felix Lafitte says: