Click HERE to visit the Doomsday Prepper Forum!

Most Popular Items for Preppers

As a prepper I always am interested in knowing what other preppers are buying.   With this site I finally have the opportunity to see what people are interested in and find it quite fascinating.  Enough so that I am going to share the information will all of my readers.  First I want everyone to know this isn’t a scientific study, nor is it meant to be a list of items I feel you should have.  It is merely a list of the items that have sold the most on this site.

To begin with it was clear that there are definitely categories that are more popular than others as well as individual items.   So in the category lists the main ones that clearly stand  out are:

Gas Masks – Predominantly those of Israeli manufacture.  I think for this one it’s obvious.  People are worried about protection for Nuclear, Biological and Chemical airborne items.

Water Treatment – This includes a variety of items including water treatment pills, water storage bladders for tubs and a variety of water filtration methods including water distillers.

Potassium Iodide – These are pills used to help protect against the effects of radioactivity.  These seem to be popular in large part due to the shortage that happened after the tsunami in Japan.  I have seen some big orders for these.  iOSAT being the most popular of these.

Survival Training Books – As you might expect this is also popular.  The books range from how to build shelters, to canning and things survival skills.

Survival Food (MRE’s and Dehydrated) – This one kind of surprised me as it’s not as popular as the above items, I really would have expected it to be higher overall than it was.  The things that are popular ar 72 hour kits and 1 month food supplies.  I have seen a couple of larger orders for longer terms like 1 year, but not that many.

In thinking about what I have seen there it seems like there is a wide range of survival scenarios that are being covered there from airborne pathogens, nuclear fallout to lack of drinking water.  One thing that didn’t make the list but is worth noting is that a lot of people are stocking up on first aid items and pandemic kits.  The products are varied and all over the chart so I didn’t include it as a main item.

So with that covered now I am sure you are interested in seeing the top 10 items that preppers buy.  They are listed in order from the top most popular survival item to the 10th most popular doomsday prepper supplies.

1. Israeli gas masks
  2. iOSAT – Potassium Iodide pills
  3. Water bladders for Bath Tubs
  4. Emergency Fire Starters
  5. Emergency Food Storage and Survival Handbook
  6. Preppers Pocket Guide 101
  7. Medique First Aid Kit
  8. Storm Proof Matches
  9. Emergency Survival Thermal Blankets
  10. Auqamira Frontier Emergency Water Filter System

Note: Some of these are individual items, some are groups as there is a lot of variety in the top 100 items so I worked to narrow it down to the top 10.

18 Comments/Reviews

• OUT2HELP says:

The products will be Lead Iodide and Potassium Nitrate.
    I want the Skeletal equation and the steps to balancing this reaction.

• Tom Blake says:

I need potassium iodide for an experiment, but I can’t seem to get it anywhere. Is it found in any household chemicals or can it be replaced with something else?

• Jessee Miraflor says:

• stefii_karolcilla says:

Sodium carbonate + Potassium Iodide -> ?

Could you please tell me what could be seen when the react.

• Dragonlord says:

What happens when you take potassium iodide and then exposed to airborne radioactive iodine ?

• Katelyn Bixler says:

Chlorine gas was bubbled into a colour less solution of potassium iodide. What is the word equation for the chemical reaction taking place between chlorine and potassium iodide?

Please help!!!! Thank you.

• Jaime Camil says:

I need to buy potassium Iodide for my science project. I went to shoppers drug mart and they don’t have. I REALLY need it, my science fair project is due in a week !! Is there any other store where i can buy it? I cannot buy it online though.

• TR Mack says:

Sodium carbonate + Potassium Iodide -> ?

Could you please tell me what could be seen when the react.

• Angelo Locicero says:

I want to know where the potassium nitrate product goes in the reaction between lead nitrate and potassium iodide. This would be after mixing the two solutions and filtering the final solution, leavin behind a lead iodide precipitate. I don’t know where the potassium nitrate is at the end.

• henryshensbcglobalnet says:

• veterinarymom says:

• Peyton Montgomery says:

What two elements would form a compound called potassium iodide?

• Miguel Navarro says:

Sodium carbonate + Potassium Iodide -> ?

Could you please tell me what could be seen when the react.

• Elinor Sturgell says:

I added 5 cm^3 of potassium iodide solution of 0.04 moldm^-3 concentration to a boiling tube. Then I added 1 cm^3 of distilled water into the same boiling tube. What is the new concentration of potassium iodide?

• Maggie Saucier says:

• LINDA lANGSTON says:

MY HUSBAND IS ALLERGIC TO IODINE IN SHELL FISH CAN HE STILL USE THE TABLETS

• sherry says:
      5 stars

linda thanks for that! i am allergic to iodine and shell fish of all kind
      and your input is very useful.

• sherry says:
    5 stars

admin….keep these emails coming as they are terrific!!! thank you for all you do for us preppers!!!!!!!