One thing about emergency preparation that you really have little or no control over is what kind of emergency situation is going to cause you to have to use your emergency kit. The best thing you can do to make sure that your emergency kit is good for any situation is have a little of everything in there that you might need to take care of yourself for a short-term duration.
It’s important to understand that no matter what you do your likely still to not have every item that you may need in a survival situation. Your kit should include items that are most likely to be helpful in any given situation.
- Dehydrated food, freeze-dried food candor other nonperishable items.
- Implements to get your own food items such as hunting gear, fishing gear, trapping gear or seed for growing your own food, etc.
- Security items such as a gun, knives, bow or even a sling shot.
- Ammunition – preferably lots of them better to be prepared than to run out.
- Cooking: fire starting, tinder, cooking grill or other means to cook food and sterilize water
- Water: I would recommend you have a least 1 gallon per person per day according to ready.gov you should have at least a three day minimum.
- Water filtration: you should have some means to purify water whether that’s water purification tablets a portable water filter or the ability to boil water.
- Water containers: it’s good to be able to clean water but you need to make sure that you have something to store water in.
- Clothing: you should always make sure to have plenty of clothing for any situation as the seasons change may want to consider changing what’s in your bug out bag.
- Medical: having an adequately stocked first aid kit includes items such as Band-Aids, cotton swabs, rubber gloves and antiseptics as well as any prescription drugs or medicines you’ll need will come in handy. I’d also recommend a good first aid book.
- Personal hygiene: this is another item that is often forgotten things like toilet paper, bug repellents, scissors, candles, lighters, batteries, matches, feminine items etc.
We’ve covered many items that should be in a bug out kit. It’s important to be able to get these items in a duffel bag or backpack that will be easy to grab in an emergency
It’s also important to make sure that you check your bag regularly to make sure all the items are working properly and ready for any emergency situation.
This is your kit so make sure to put the items you think you will need in their this is only a guideline to help you think some of those items you may not have thought. If you are looking for a bug out kit that is already made up we have a whole page of just those kits.